Christ Church was built in 1873–74, when it was known as Christ Church, Singlegate.
It is a locally listed building and is designed in a modest but rural Gothic style by
Messrs F and H Francis. The church was built using load-bearing yellow London stock
bricks and Bath stone.
The church building was consecrated on Ascension Day, 14 May 1874. In 1875 the District
Chapelry of Christ Church, Mitcham, was created, and this became a parish some time between
1875 and 1914. It was not until recent years that the name of the parish was changed to
Christ Church, Colliers Wood, to reflect changes in population.
Christ Church has strong links with St John's Church, High Path, SW19. It is now
part of the Merton Abbey Team Ministry along with St John's and Holy Trinity,
South Wimbledon, SW19.
[continued in menu items at the right]
Watercolour painted by William Sleath R.A. in about 1895, showing the
church in its original, rural, setting surrounded by meadows.
Postcard of Christ Church from about 1905. Image kindly supplied by Steve Bulman.
Christ Church organ
Christ Church bells
History booklet from about 1995
(click image to download PDF)